With this Squid Ink Paella recipe, you are putting a real eye-catcher on the table with a surprisingly delicious taste. This intensely black-colored Paella is quite easy to make, has a great taste, and features an incredible presentation.
At first glance, this intensely black-colored paella may not look very tasty. However, the opposite is true. This Squid ink paella has a very rich seafood taste and is considered to be among the tastiest of paellas.
- Recommended equipment for this Squid Ink Paella recipe
- Equipment for 2 servings
- Equipment for 4 servings
- Equipment for 6 servings
- Equipment for 8 servings
- Equipment for 10 servings
- Ingredients for this Squid Ink Paella recipe
- Ingredients for 2 servings
- Ingredients for 4 servings
- Ingredients for 6 servings
- Ingredients for 8 servings
- Ingredients for 10 servings
- Instructions for this Squid Ink Paella recipe
- Video for this Squid Ink Paella recipe
- More delicious paella recipes
Yield: 2 to 10 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Category: Main course
Nutrition: 400 calories
Recommended equipment for this Squid Ink Paella recipe
When making this beautiful looking squid ink paella, the use of the right equipment is very important. For example, a good quality paella pan is absolutely essential to achieve a good end result. Also the use of a paella burner is highly recommended because it optimally distributes the heat under the paella pan.
Here you can find out which equipment is recommended for which number of servings.
Equipment for 2 servings
Equipment for 6 servings
Equipment for 10 servings
Ingredients for this Squid Ink Paella recipe
Select the number of servings you want to make of this squid ink paella and check the ingredients and quantities you need right away.
Ingredients for 2 servings
Ingredients for 6 servings
Ingredients for 10 servings
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil*
- 10 prawns, in the shell
- 30 peeled prawns
- 1 3/4 lb squid, cut into cubes
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 5 tomatoes, crushed
- 2 lb good quality paella rice*
- 11 cups seafood stock*
- 2 sachets squid ink, added to the stock
*= Amazon Link
Instructions for this Squid Ink Paella recipe
- Make sure the paella pan is level on the heat source.
- Place the paella pan over medium heat and pour in the olive oil.
- Briefly sauté the shelled prawns, add some salt, and remove them from the paella pan. They don’t need to be cooked through yet.
- Put peeled prawns, squid, garlic and parsley into the pan and stir fry for a minute or two.
- Next, add the crushed tomato, and sauté for another two minutes or so.
- Pour the paella rice into the paella pan and sauté for about 1 minute, so the paella rice can absorb the flavors and moisture from the other ingredients.
- When the paella rice starts to look translucent, the seafood stock (with the squid ink) can be added.
- Distribute the ingredients all over the pan, bringing them to boil, and cook over high heat for about 8 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Now cook the paella over high heat until the first layer of paella rice almost rises above the liquid. This usually takes about 8 minutes.
- Next, turn down the heat and add the shelled prawns, then let the paella simmer for another 8 minutes on low heat.
- When any remaining moisture has evaporated, remove the paella pan from the heat and let it sit for about five minutes.