This vegetarian paella recipe, can be made with your choice of vegetables. For best results, it is important to cook the ingredients in the right order and in the right way. As far as ingredients, you are free to do as you please. Above all, use your favorite vegetables in this paella.
In recent years, the vegetarian diet has gained significant popularity. Thankfully, there is also a vegetarian version of paella. This paella is called Paella de Verduras in Spanish. To some extent, the vegetarian paella recipe can be made with ingredients of your own choosing. Nevertheless, this recipe follows the preparation method of authentic paella closely.
Recommended equipment for this Vegetarian Paella recipe
When making this Vegetarian Paella, the use of the right equipment is very important. For example, a good quality paella pan is absolutely essential to achieve a good end result. Also the use of a paella burner is highly recommended because it optimally distributes the heat under the paella pan.
Here you can find out which equipment is recommended for which number of servings.
Equipment for 2 servings
Equipment for 6 servings
Equipment for 10 servings
= Amazon Link
Ingredients for this Vegetarian Paella recipe
Select the number of servings you want to make of this Vegetarian Paella and check the ingredients and quantities you need right away.
Ingredients for 2 servings
2 tbsp olive oil
4 green asparagus
4 oz carrot
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp sweet paprika powder
2 oz canned black beans
10 threads saffron
1/2 lb bomba rice
3 cups vegetable stock
Ingredients for 6 servings
6 tbsp olive oil
12 green asparagus
12 oz carrot
3 cloves garlic
3 tbsp chopped parsley
3 tsp sweet paprika powder
6 oz canned black beans
30 threads saffron
1 1/2 lb bomba rice
9 cups vegetable stock
Ingredients for 10 servings
10 tbsp olive oil
20 green asparagus
1 1/4 lb carrot
5 cloves garlic
5 tbsp chopped parsley
5 tsp sweet paprika powder
12 oz canned black beans
50 threads saffron
2 1/2 lb bomba rice
1 gal vegetable stock
= Amazon Link
Preparations for this vegetarian paella recipe
Good preparation is essential when making paella. Once the heat is on, it is important to focus all your attention on cooking and not on peripheral issues such as too much wind, a wobbly paella pan, an empty gas bottle or ingredients that still appear to be in the fridge…
Preparing location and equipment
Before you can start cooking this healthy and tasty vegetarian paella recipe, it is important to find a suitable location and make sure all materials and ingredients are in order and ready. The following checklists may help you with this:
Heat source checklist
- Is there enough gas in the gas bottle, do you have enough charcoal for the BBQ or do you have enough wood for the wood fire?
- Is the heat source solid enough to carry the paella pan and is it properly mounted?
- In case of a paella burner or gas barbecue, is the gas bottle well connected and is the gas bottle far enough away from the heat source?
- Is the paella burner solid and not wobbling?
- Is the heat source positioned in a wind-free/sheltered place?
- Is the heat source placed where ( grease ) splashes can’t do any harm?
- Is the paella burner level as much as possible? (tip: pour some water in the paella pan and place the pan on the heat source. If the water stays in the middle of the pan, the pan is level).
Checklist for the paella pan
- Is the paella pan clean, free of dust, and are any rust spots removed?
- Does the size of the paella pan match the number of portions of paella you are going to make?
- Does the paella pan fit the heat source you are going to use? Is the entire paella pan heated and is the heat evenly distributed under the pan?
- Is the paella pan positioned firmly and level on the heat source?
Checklist other matters
- Are all the cooking utensils you need within easy reach?
- Are the heat source and the paella pan placed out of reach of children and pets?
- Are the ingredients cleaned, cut and prepared as described in the recipe?
- Are the ingredients within easy reach?
- Do you wear suitably fitted and solid clothing that won’t easily catch fire?
- Do you have any fire fighting equipment nearby in case something catches on fire? Such as a bucket of water, a fire extinguisher or a fire blanket.
Preparing the ingredients
In addition to choosing a suitable location and preparing all equipment, the ingredients also need to be prepared.
Of course, you can do it earlier, but at least half an hour before you start cooking the paella, it’s time to prepare the remaining ingredients for this vegetarian paella recipe. After all, you want to have all the ingredients prepared and at hand when the paella pan is put on the heat source.
The ingredients of this vegetarian paella recipe should be prepared as follows:
Olive oil – measure and set aside.
Asparagus – rinse and set aside.
Carrot – peel, rinse and cut into slices of about 1/4 inch.
Garlic – chop finely.
Parsley – chop finely.
Sweet paprika powder – measure and set aside.
Tomato – grate and keep the pulp.
Saffron threads – soak in a little bit of hot water.
Black beans – rinse and drain.
Vegetable broth – preheat in a lidded pan (do not let boil).
Bomba rice – measure and set aside in a dry container.
When the preparation of the ingredients is ready, collect them all and, together with a nice cold drink for yourself, move them towards the paella pan and heat source. This way, you have everything at your fingertips, and all you have to do is add the ingredients to the paella in the right order.
Instructions for this Vegetarian Paella recipe
- Place the paella pan over medium heat and pour in the olive oil.
- Sauté the asparagus for a minute or two, add some salt, and remove them from the paella pan.
- Put the carrot into the pan and stir fry for about two minutes.
- Next, add garlic and parsley and sauté until the garlic begins to take on color.
- Now make space in the middle of the pan and sprinkle in the paprika powder. Immediately after that add the grated tomato and mix it with the paprika powder.
- Fry the tomato for about two minutes and mix it with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the soaked saffron (including the liquid) and mix immediately with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the bomba rice into the paella pan and sauté for about one minute, so the paella rice can absorb the flavors and moisture from the other ingredients.
- When the paella rice starts to look translucent, add the vegetable broth and black beans.
- Distribute the ingredients all over the pan, bringing them to a boil, and cook over high heat for about eight minutes.
- After a few minutes of cooking, add the asparagus. Place them neatly to create a nice presentation.
- Cook the paella over high heat until the first layer of paella rice almost rises above the liquid. This usually takes about eight minutes.
- Turn down the heat and let the paella simmer until all the liquid has evaporated. This will take another eight minutes or so. Make sure the liquid stays at a boil!
- When you hear that the paella starts to fry, all the moisture has evaporated.
- Now turn off the heat and let the paella sit for about five minutes.
Video for this Vegetarian Paella recipe
More delicious paella recipes
- Paella Valenciana recipe – The real authentic paella
- Seafood Paella recipe – The most iconic paella
- Chicken Paella recipe – Very popular all around the world
- Mixed Paella recipe – Perfect for all tastes
- Squid Ink Paella – Intensely black colored seafood paella